This past November, we silently re-launched our business under the new name ‘Northsail Software’, which was the culmination of a year-long process to redefine who we are and, more importantly, what we do.
After building software and providing consulting services for many years, we evolved from an initial team of ‘one’ to a brilliant team of ‘many’. We quickly realized that our evolution had resulted in a significant disconnect between what our name and brand portrayed yesterday to who we are today, as well as what we are capable of delivering, not to mention where we are headed.
What's in a name?
One thing became very clear: if we were to truly evolve, we needed a new name and a fresh start. But, what’s in a name? There’s a great deal it says about you, so we put a lot of thought into it. What did we want it to present and represent? What did we want it to say about our amazing team?
First and foremost, we all agreed that the new name needed to satisfy our three core principles:
- Represent where and who we are from a global perspective
- Provide insight into how we work and the strong relationships we build with all our clients
- Create something we could design a genuine brand around; something unique yet easy to recognize
It was, to say the least, an interesting process. After all, we are developers and, as all developers know…
There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things.
Why Northsail Software?
Northsail made our short list early on in the process, but as we continued to work through other potential names, we kept coming back to it. It really clicked with us, because of what it means to us and for us:
- North as in 100% Canadian-made right here in Waterloo and the Greater Toronto Area; offering our services across Canada, the USA and the globe. We do not off-shore any of our processes or our work. We’re proud that we do everything in-house with our senior level resources and strategic partners.
- Sail as in the verb, not the noun. We see ourselves as embarking on an exciting journey with our clients and the long-term partnerships we build; sailing is a unique way of expressing that message.
- Software because it provides context. It’s what we do: we build software. And great software, at that!
It’s a new year and our team has returned from some much-deserved time with their families over the holiday season. In the coming weeks and months, we look forward to sharing more details about us and our technical insights.
Now it’s time for us to set sail and see what’s out there! Join us!